Sunday, October 15, 2006

disturbingly feminine and possibly canadian

so i went to this conference of graduate students thing my department put on yesterday. it was held at this lodge owned by the norweigan brotherhood or something like that and was filled, FILLED to the brim with disturbing, cartoon-ish images of trolls. we had to get up fucking early and i found myself struggling to concentrate on the presentations, given the fatigue and the troll decor that constantly begged for my limited attention. peter westley, who lived in the outhouse our sophomore year was there. he is a fisheries person like me and we had a good time talking about reed and looking condescendingly at the other students who went to lesser insitiutions for their undergrads (even tho peter transferred to uw after his second year at reed so he could focus on fisheries). at 5, all seriousness was swept aside and the kegs were tapped. people made presentations about the research going on in their labs with the warning that if they actually talked about any data or anything serious, they'd be lynched. my favorite was the guy who described his advisor as disturbingly feminine and possibly canadian. we ate and ate all day and then drank and drank all night, topped off with dead baby jokes, a boatrace, a dance party and a long soak in a very hot hottub.

i have my first committee meetin tomorrow and i'm scared. my advisor told me on thurs. to expect a question about why i should do the project i'm doing given it's similarity to another project that came out of our lab ~2 years ago. i had no good answer. i have an answer now, though whether it is good or lame remains to be seen.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

I wanna eat eat eat then drink drink drink. Yr at committe meetings already? I have to start picking out a committee, and I've been at this a year more than you... huh.

11:57 AM  
Blogger l said...

that's the nature of the master's, baby. you gotta go cause you're done in two years.

i hope 2 years.

i still want a Ph.D. after this.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jesse said...

liz: 1,
jonny: 0!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

auburn

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home