Wednesday, September 26, 2007

the floor in between

i'm only taking two classes this quarter (in addition to the thesis credits). i'm taking a beginning german class largely because patrick corrects my english when i say something incorrectly and i vowed to become a scholar of german so i could correct him in his native tongue. patrick said he thought that was a great idea. i don't think he realized that following through on statements like that is the way i convince myself to do shit. when people ask why i'm starting a new language so late in life, i just tell them it's because my boyfriend is german.

they think that is so sweet of me.

the german class i signed up for is a review class designed for those who have taken some german or are motivated beginners. though i completely lack real motivation, i felt i could convolute the first half of the prerequisite to work for me.

then i went to class and got my ass slapped. these people were speaking real german, like, instantly. it was disheartening. so i'm going to see if i can weasel my way into a real beginning class and come to terms with the fact i'll have to go to class every fucking day.

on the plus side, the building in which the german department is located has HALF FLOORS! going up, i took the first door off the stairway, thinking it would be, you know, the next floor. BUT IT WASN'T. it was some crazy shit in between. to top things off, i did it again coming down (in a different stairway) and found the anthropolgy department.

obviously, they are not scientists.

also:
it turns out that a shitton of people go to this university. i knew that on paper, but never really experienced it, as all my classes have tended towards locations on the fringe of campus. but i have to walk right through the heart of the beast, and let me tell you, there are entirely too many people. uw should really think about having tougher admissions criteria.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

I want to take Spanish, but I know that I need something good to survive the ass slapping...

Also- the too many students thing, I hear that. IU's got 39k, what's UW? Oh, basically exactly the same.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jesse said...

jonny: what are you now, links? christ. you're like a one-man information MACHINE.

meanwhile, i'm still at work. apparently this is where i'm going to be for some time. which is kind of rad, as my work computer does things my home computer wouldn't even THINK of doing. like display google maps and whatnot.

had an apple from that hotel lobby today for lunch. because i CAN.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Ryland said...

my building at psu has mezzanine levels too. one of the chicks in my office mistakenly referred to them as mausoleums, which is much more appropriate.

and how do you leave blank lines in LaTeX? (i'm looking in the general direction of mr. figured-out-links.)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

wait, it doesn't autolog me in anymore? Weak.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home