Thursday, February 21, 2008

theory v. practice

berlin was old, fast and tiring. there were lots of old, big buildings and shit. i think my talk went well but i was too tired to be nervous and don't really remember anything about it. maybe the audience members feel the same way.

i have to make a decision this week. go to berlin all out for my ph.d. or try to work some half-half thing where i stay here part time and there part time. the first option makes my stomach ache and my head spin and the second option means i have to find some question that can only be properly answered by research here and in germany and my two advisers will frequently give me conflicting advice and try to find ways to get the other guy to fund me.

the commitment-phobe in me says to run, run, run away from berlin but the other part of me says that this is exactly what i need to get over being afraid of commitment.

8 Comments:

Blogger l said...

by the way, i was looking at where people are who visit here on that cluster map. i understand the northwest and indiana, but who the hell do we know in north dakota, texas and arizona?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

Them dots aren't real people, I don't believe it. It's Ry using proxy servers or something. ^.^


But so, Berlin, Um, Ya, I can see the quandary. Dive on in and land face first? Or keep waffling. Mmmm, waffles. So, jebus, do you know german? Sammy does right? Take him as yr translator monkey.

4:05 PM  
Blogger l said...

i'm learning of the german language right now. but when i was in berlin and fucked up (usually after 3-4 words) people would just talk english at me. except for the guy who picked me up from the airport. he didn't know any english. and he told the others at the institute he could understand my german just fine.

if i do go, i'll have a translator monkey with me in the form of my german boyfriend.

waffles sound delicious. i need to move closer to waffles. i guess germany is pretty close to belgium.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Ryland said...

i see you missed your opportunity to get a little red dot over germany.

1:54 PM  
Blogger l said...

i also missed a chance of leaving a history of coming to this site on the computer belonging to the institut für gewässerökologie und binnennfischerei.

so yeah, i fucked up big time.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

you just made those words up didn't you

9:32 AM  
Blogger l said...

http://www.igb-berlin.de/

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

:0 o.O x[

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home